Currently looking for a Chemical Reaction Engineer to fill an opening with a company located in Richburg, SC. Interested candidates must hold a Master’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or Physics. PhD is preferred. Minimum of 5 years working with high temperature chemical operations.
The primary purpose of this job is to lead the invention and improvement of chemical processes and metallurgical properties in the process development of alloyed Titanium powder for the company and GEA's Next Gen Alloys (NGA) facility.
Responsibilities of the Chemical Reaction Engineer:
- Display enthusiasm for teamwork and leading innovative process development in a technically challenging environment.
- Design and conduct bench and lab scale experiments to refine chemical reaction understanding in a multi-phase, high temperature chemical process. Engineering challenges will include: sizing, mixing, heat transfer, mass transport phenomena, solid/liquid/gas reactions, scaling and process control.
- Propose, justify and develop thermodynamic experiments. Utilize results to improve thermodynamic databases and improve understanding of existing reactions/models. Support the team by reviewing metallurgical and chemical analysis results (LECO, ICP, XRD, SEM, TGA).
- Interact with the database modelers by providing data, validation and assistance with interpretation.
- Conceptualize, design, commission and troubleshoot bench and lab scale chemical processing and thermodynamic equipment.
- Manage research projects critical to the company, including coordinating internal and external resources to augment speed of research.
- Communicate results to management, colleagues, and customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations.
- Continuously maintain and improve knowledge of developments in Ti powder metallurgy and additive manufacturing through experimentation, attending meetings and conferences, and reviewing trade literature.
- Hands on experience with equipment designed to generate thermodynamic data (DSC, TGA) and development of experimental procedures and thermodynamic equipment.
- Experience analyzing microstructures, phases, and chemical reactions using XRD, SEM and TGA.
- Experience in finite element analysis, process modeling, fluid dynamics modeling, data analytics and other aspects of integrated computational materials science
- Generate and evaluate P&ID diagrams
- High temperature chemical reaction mechanisms and transport phenomena.
- Basic material science background including evaluating microstructures, phases, and chemical reactions using equipment such as XRD, SEM and TGA.
- Evaluation of material properties and adjustment of thermodynamic data and databases utilizing software such as Thermocalc, Dictra, MTData, and FactSage.
- Analytical, critical thinking and systematic, root cause problem-solving
- Attention to detail, organization, and time management and prioritization skills.
- Statistical analysis, designed experiments and/or data analytics and software such as R, JMP, Minitab.
Requirements of the Chemical Reaction Engineer:
MS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or Physics. PhD is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years working with high temperature chemical operations.
- Hands on experience with lab scale equipment operation and working with teams to drive and conduct experimental projects. Ability to lead root cause problem solving of process challenges.
- Experience in statistical analysis and/or data analytics such as six sigma and experience using statistical analysis software such as R, JMP, and Minitab.
- Project management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years in extractive metallurgy and metal powder production.
- Experience developing phase diagrams and databases, and/or studying reaction kinetics.
- Experience using thermodynamic or diffusion simulation software such as JMat Pro, Pandat, Thermocalc, Dictra, and FactSage.
- ·Effectively manage projects and resources utilizing project management skills and tools
- ·Multi-tasking in managing parallel research and design/scaling efforts
- ·Work in a dynamic, challenging R&D setting, including effectively dealing with ambiguity and change
- Lead critical projects while working as a team. Utilize interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) in order to interact well with employees, colleagues, leaders and customers.
- Appropriately handle confidential IP / sensitive information.