The Instructional Designer is responsible for planning and developing the overall instructional program that will be relayed to the sales organization with the capability to work in other functional groups as necessary. This position will work with subject matter experts at our company to identify target audience’s training needs. The goal is to facilitate learners in acquiring knowledge, skills and competencies in an effective and appealing manner. This role reports to the National Sales Development Manager.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
- Employ adult learning principles and instructional design theories in designing, developing and executing innovative curriculum solutions, including but not limited to instructor led and e-learning solutions
- Utilize the company’s Learning Management System (LMS), including posting courses, maintaining courses and running reports
- Create engaging learning activities and compelling course content that enhances retention and application
- Conduct instructional research and analysis on learners and contexts
- Apply tested instructional design theories, practice and methods
- Create support material/media (audio, video, simulations, role plays, games, etc.). This could include Participant Materials, Facilitator Guides, Handouts and any other supporting materials.
- Decide on the criteria used to judge learner’s performance and development assessment instruments
- Proven working experience in instructional design
- Emphasis on sales and E-learning preferred
- Excellent knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Excellent Power Point skills
- Experience creating interactive multimedia WBT, Articulate and Camtasia software
- Basic to intermediate skills with Photoshop, Flash and streaming technologies
- Lesson and curriculum planning skills
- Basic HTML and Flash programming knowledge
- Solid knowledge of course development software; knowledge of ePath Learning ASAP preferred
- Familiarity with File Sharing Software and Remote Hosting Software (ShareFile, Filezilla) preferred
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts
- Familiarity with SharePoint preferred
- BS or MA degree (preferred) in instructional design, educational technology or similar
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Must be a highly motivated, self-starter that understands implied tasks, prioritization, and organization.
- Urgency: Capable of moving through the ADDIE model quickly and implementing training solutions at a rapid pace.
- Coaching: Providing timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Formal Presentation: Presenting ideas effectively (including nonverbal communication and use of visual aids) to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience; proficient in various computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Excel, PowerPoint…)
- Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Strong presence: Well spoken, confident person